Monday, July 4, 2011

The Write Stuff

During this Holiday weekend, I planned to spend most of my time away from The Corporate Place to focus on the 2nd draft of my Top Secret MG novel. Here is how things really went:

Halfday on Friday. Instead of writing immediately after coming home from work, I watched the last two episodes of Eureka Season 4, this week's Pretty Little Liars, the ending of this weeks The Nine Lives of Chloe King, ate dinner, and watched one or two episodes of Psych season 2. I get sucked into tv a lot on workdays.

Saturday I started writing first thing, however the day was interrupted by buying a new dishwasher and then helping the hubby install the new dishwasher. That evening I watched a borrowed dvd, Children of Men. Reasoning that I needed to return it to my coworker on Tuesday.

Sunday I also started writing first thing, but it was not a good day for writing. I've been struggling with a couple sub plots in the story, trying to decide if I needed to add more to tie the sub plots in better, or cut them and anything related to them completely. I started writing a new chapter to add to the subplots, but all day my internal debating held me back. Hours went by and I only wrote half of the chapter. For the whole day! My morale had dipped pretty low at this point. So I watched a couple more episodes or Psych. Shawn and Gus always make me feel better.

Monday turned out to be the best writing day of all of them. I decided to just write the extra bits and not worry about wether they fit or belonged. Worst case scenario, I could use the scenes later on in the series. Let me tell you, today was a very exciting day for writing. My characters were in peril! There was danger! It was exciting to read! It exhausted me. And it was fun, reminding me of why I love doing this. Maybe the book is too long now, but at this moment I don't care. That's what revising is for.

2 comments:

  1. I love your attitude toward your writing. It is inspiring to know I am not the only one to ditch writing for the television. I need to find a new series to keep me occupied, though. I'll have to give Psych a try. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you follow Stephen King's advice in "On Writing", put everything in, and when you are done, take 20% out of it, whatever doesn't work. If you stop yourself from putting stuff in, you are stifling your creativity. Good to hear about your progress, though.

    ReplyDelete